Sunday, March 8, 2009

as the wise robert plant says, "your time is gonna come"

well. all the posts can't be super positive I guess. So this last week has been a little rough. While other students experienced their bouts of homesickness at the beginning, it seems my time has come...it did not helt that after eating dinner at a friend of my brother Ladji's house, I was overcome with fullness and then at 2am ish I woke up and puked. I thought that was it. To my dismay, Friday, at school, I found there was more to come. EEsh. But I'm better now, I just, well, really miss home.
Despite all this, my week was filled with laughs both at home and with friends from school. I lucked out with really great group of kids and a really great family. One night this week I talked for along time with my brother Moctar about our respective definitions of the word "respect", very different, he put fear as somewhat synonymous to it, I put them nowhere near each other. But we never got frustrated when our understandings didn't match up...I love this stuff. Another day I had a homework assignment that was supposed to be read a newspaper article then write an essay on it, supplementing your summary with information from various other sources such as conversing with family members visiting businesses, etc. So I ended up talking to one of my sisters, Tanti about contraception in Mali. sooo interesting. I won't go on about it here, but its one of those things where I can really tell why they give these assignments!

Another thing I wanted to add to my little description of kyra's daily life is, my weekend visits to the boutiki on the corner. There is an adorable Ghanain, Ghanian (?) man wh works there. On weekends i go there to purchase my morning bread. THe first time i went there, after speaking french to him and gettinga blank stare I found he asked me if I was french, I said no, American. He got excited and exclaimed, "good, because i from ghana I don't speak french, i speak english!" mmm goood. so every weekend he greets me with his buck tooth smile, in his broken, but wonderful english, asks how my family is.
so tomorrow i head off to the rural village of sanankoroba. no electricity. no running water. SPRING BREAK '09 HERE I COME!!!!

1 comment:

  1. jeez nice bloggin! how is the music scene over there? any kora music?

    ReplyDelete