Sunday, May 3, 2009

Waliye!

So "Waliye" is my most recent step to being FULLY integrated. It is an arabic word, hence the allah sound in it, but sort of a bambara word too. People use it maybe everyother sentence and it literally translates to "I swear to god!" but is used, as I've observed, much like "seriously!" So...I like it, because I really feel I've gotten a grasp of it. Maliens laugh and say, WOW! have you been living here for 10years or what? uh huh.
so I have two weeks left here.
and i found out recently one ONE week left with my family which made my eyes water a bit. I love this family, and lately it's really becoming apparent that they love me- my mom nyamoue the other day, "I don't want my daughter to leave me, i love you, i love you too much" HOH.
MY research has been going well, although writing paper when you're paying for every minute that passes by just adds on that extra bit of stress that's just really fun. But I do have about 10 pages already...without even realizing it!
so i recently found out that my family does have a real toilet and shower inside pretty much just for the parents, but also Tania too. guess why, here is the reason he gave me- he is allergic to the smell. the 'gas' as he put it. Uhhhhh aren't we all??? yeah i'm actually allergic to the nasty smell in public bathrooms...that was silly. today i saw how they empty our latrine (which had been getting dangerously full aand worrying me), which was pretty fascinating- a bit truck come and I think pretty much sucks it all out. because of the smell my brother Moctar started spraying toxic amounts of air freshener everywhere, which to me was worse.

last night I went out my brother Tania and some friends, and we saw some amazing music. the music here is truly unique, phenomenal. Mali's music should be known by all. This guys name was Baba Sala, he was an excellent guitar player- supposedly only second to the very famous Ali Farka. I encourage all that haven't already to look up these names, I can't wait to listen to them for the rest of my life and be reminded of this experience.

1 comment:

  1. im bummed i just found out about this. one day when im not so swamped ill read it all. i know youre coming back soon. are you going to ohio or seattle? did you get the swiner? i miss you. and your nose.

    ReplyDelete